Garbage Disposal Installation Guide for Fresh Users
In your shining kitchen, your garbage disposal will play a certain role. If you possess a great house and love to have great daily meal with your lovely family, a garbage disposal is definitely a great assistant for your kitchens. This garbage disposal installation guide is created to help fresh users have more insight knowledge on how to install and maintain your disposer unit in a proper way.
Good understanding of how your unit operates, is quite essential. You can be always right there to handle things strange happening to your garbage disposal or just know what exactly what is running in the machine and keep up with the right idea of something like:
- It is working great;
- It got some problems;
- You can fix it yourself, or you need to call a plumber pro for helps.
Garbage disposal installation types
Nowadays, the garbage disposal installation is much easier than before. There are two typical types of installation.
The first is referred as Quick Lock Sink Mount from InsinkErator, which you can simply twist off the old one and twist on the new one. The similar technique is developed by Waste King, and it is called EZ mount. They are both claimed that their installation is easiest and providing no-hassle installation.
The second one is called 3 bolt-mount garbage disposals. This is original from Waste King Branch. This type of garbage disposal installation is confirmed that providing a firm connection between the sink and garbage disposal but need to be more handy to install and more time if you need to remove. Thus, this type is less referred to most of the customers.
Garbage Disposal Installation Guide
- Screwdriver/disposer wrench
- Hacksaw/tubing cutter
- Circuit tester
- Garbage disposal
- Silicone caulk
- Plumber’s putty
If you’re replacing an old disposal, start with Step 1. If you’re installing a new garbage disposal by connecting it to an existing dishwasher line, start with Step 3.
Step 1: Shut Down Power. Pull Out Drain Pipes
– Turn off your power. You should respect the safety caution in this step. It is better to let others in home know that you are shutting it down.
– Remove the existing drain lines. It is OK if there is a leak of water.
– Loosen the base of the sink flange.
Step 2: Get rid of old putty
– Remove all putty around sink and make sure no old putty should be left.
– Clean up your sink completely
Step 3: Connect your Unit
– Remove the cover plate beneath your disposer unit.
– Connect the wire to the outlet beneath your sink. In this step, you should follow strictly to the instruction of manufacture. Most of the garbage disposal has wire connection color to color (white to white, black to black) but you don’t know for sure that is applying in your current models or not; so read the instruction carefully.
Step 4: Apply Putty
– Fill plumber’s putty around both the underside of the drain flange and the sink opening.
– Place in flange into the drain hole and make sure it firmly and evenly fit into place.
Step 5: Mounting Unit Over the Flange
– Place the fiber gasket and metal ring over the sink flange.
– Hold the fiber gasket and backup ring in a proper position. A rubber band can well assist you to hold these in the right position.
Step 6: Add the Snap Ring
– Slide the snap ring up the sink flange until it get into right position.
– Make the mounting screws tight enough for the entire unit snug and securely in place.
– The perfect position is evenly against the sink with small or no gaps between the unit and the bottom of the sink basin.
Step 7: Mount the Disposal System
– Insert the disposal to the top end of the mounting gasket. You’ll know you installed it properly if it feels snug. If it does not feel tight enough, try to check again other parts to make sure everything go right and then adjusts again.
Step 8: Install the Drain
– Connect P-trap to the tails and trap arm.
– Place the disposal’s discharge tube in the P-trap and do not fully tighten the slip nut.
– Insert other ends of the discharge tube into the disposal unit.
– Use a screwdriver to secure the metal flange using the bolt supplied with your disposal unit.
Step 9: Tighten Lug
– Place a screwdriver in the mounting lug
– Roll the unit clockwise until the disposer is locked into place.
– Tighten all slip nuts.
Step 10: Test Disposer
– Turn the power back on. In the previous, power must always be shut down.
– Pull water into the sink.
– Switch on the disposer and check for leaks.
– Tighten any parts if necessary.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance
Things should do
– Keep non-food waste items like paper, wood, metal things out of the disposal.
– Run cold water before the disposal is on for 60 seconds.
– Keep schedule cleaning with citrus every week. Citrus keeps your sink smelling fresh.
Remember: if your find that you are not sure what you should do in the above explanation, you should find a professional plumber.
Garbage disposal as other machines, it still has its lifetime. If your disposal has well performance in over 5 – 10 years, and then it breaks. That is a perfect time to replace it and find new model for your own kitchen. If so, you may want to check our best garbage disposal review as a reference for yourself.
Types and costs
Depending on your own reference and priorities for choosing a garbage disposal, a best garbage disposal can have a wide range of cost.
The first is the horse power (HP), most of 1/2 HP has cost below $100 and normally satisfies your demand with a standard quality. The most popular unit in this class is InsinkErator Badger 5.
If you need more power, 3/4 and 1 HP is typical choice of major customers, which normally cost above $100 to $300. You can find the most well-known branch in our website, Waste King and InsinkErator. Waste King has Legend series, which is less expensive with standard qualities in both grinding power and noise reducing. While InsinkErator possesses well-developed technologies with exceptional standard qualities, and it also comes with affordable prices. Both branches have their strength on this market.
I hope that this garbage disposal installation guide is helpful for both fresh users and old users. If you need more information what is the best garbage disposal in 2017, you may want to check our reviews on GD Reviews. We also make a comparison table for Waste King and InsinkErator garbage disposal in each branch and and put all of them together.
There is also a useful post of things should be considered of choosing the best garbage disposal in your own demand, I believe that you may want to check it.
Check out this video for more detail how to replace your garbage disposals
Garbage Disposal Remove
There are numerous different types and designs of removing garbage disposals you could choose, depending on what garbage disposals you like. These garbage disposals would protect you and your kids from diseases caused by kitchen waste. Before you make the choices, you should decide whether they are humanized in design and uncomplicated to clean.
The garbage disposals coming with rational prices are also renowned for the good brands, including InSinkErator and Premier. The garbage disposals could offer a simple solution of enabling you to quickly remove kitchen refuses and stay kitchen tidy. The easy installation and use of garbage disposals might be the major reasons why they have become so prevalent in current times. These sturdy garbage disposals are the trustworthy friends to create a hygienic as well as smell-less kitchen. Remember, it is pretty critical for you to buy the garbage disposals that own the advantages of assisting you to rip up and wash away the kitchen refuses. It is definitely up to you to pick up the goods that are outstanding in cleanup performances in terms of your preferences.
The purchase guidance would primarily explore garbage disposals of strong motors and good sizes. And you might already realize the importance of having the garbage disposals that could assist you to avoid the sink block.